When I was a little girl, I never went anywhere without my crayons. I would stuff them into my pockets, my backpack, or even just carry them in my hands. I can only imagine my mother would have appreciated having something like this crayon rollup for me (just thinking of all the melted crayons that ended up in the laundry still makes me feel guilty!). That memory led me to believe that my girlfriends who are already parents might like to have one of these crayon organizers for their children. They are great for trips on the go, just throw it in your purse and you have hours of creativity for your little ones at your fingertips.
This year, all the children on my list are getting one of these fantastic portable and easily accessible rollups. This one in particular is for our friend's super adorable daughter, Chandrea.
Perhaps you have a child in your life that might enjoy one, too.
This project is inspired by a tutorial I found on the Fiskars website. I have adapted it to make it feasible for "non-sewers" like myself.
1/4 yard of fabric one (my floral print)
1/4 yard of fabric two (my polka dot print)
1 yard ribbon
*there are many really good etsy stores that sell fabric that would be great for this, just do a search for fabric under the "supplies" section
1. Cut two 6x21 inch pieces from fabric one and one 7x21 piece of fabric two.
2. Set fabric one aside. Fold fabric two in half lengthwise (it should now measure 3.5 x 21) and iron to crease.
3. Use your sewing machine to topstitch a ¼ inch inseam along the long 21 inch edge next to the folded crease.
4. Lay one piece of fabric one (right side up) and line up the fabric two piece on top (right side up also, so that the bottom edges line up) Pin to secure.
5. Machine stitch along bottom to secure.
6. Place piece from step #5 right side up on top of other piece. Cut ribbon into two 18 inch pieces and pin about 2 inches in from right side.
7. Stitch 1/2 inch around all edges, leaving the left side open.
8. Flip right-side out. Iron.
9. Fold edges of left side in, pin and stitch to secure.
10. Mark at 1 inch intervals on fabric two, using a fabric marker or pins.
11. Stitch at the marked or pinned interval points (only on fabric two).
12. Trim threads.
13. Fill with crayons.
14. Watch recipients eyes light up when they receive the customized gift they can take anywhere with them!
This crayon rollup is a really fun project that can be used not only as a holiday gift, but also for birthdays and other special occasions.
It it great for parents and caregivers because it provides convenient entertainment for the kids.
It is great for you because you get to make a meaningful gift you know will be helpful.
It is great for the kids because you are encouraging their creativity.
And I cannot think of a better gift than that.
Next up you're heading to Sharyn's blog where you will no doubt find a fabulous idea you will want to give a try. Enjoy yourself!