Posts

12.16.2009

what i'm loving wednesdays 12.15

This week's "what i'm loving wednesday" is dedicated to mom, and the memories I have.



She loved Key West, Florida. It's no wonder. She was a deeply thoughtful person and I can imagine her staring at the endless ocean for hours, much like I would do. I love to think of her surrounded by such peaceful beauty.
 
 
When I was a little girl and she was waitressing to bring home some extra money, she used to take me to work with her occasionally. She worked in a huge castle and I would run around hiding and playing and imagining until she called to me a table where there was a shirley temple waiting.


  We made the most elaborate dollhouses together. I remember one she made completely out of cardboard, tiny furniture and all. She would get wallpaper and carpet samples and painstakingly make sure that every detail was as realistic and perfect as possible.

 
 She was an artist. In more ways than one. Even in her struggle with cancer she had a dignity and grace that seems impossible to maintain in such conditions. She never complained once. She made sacrifices for us that one should never have to make. She epitomized selfless love.

It has been so long since I have seen her and the reality of knowing I will never see her again leaves a hole in my heart that will never be filled. I always thought I would.
But I will live my life the way she hoped for me and try to emulate her as much as possible.

Many things will get me through this time including the love of my wonderful friends and the most amazing man that I have ever been blessed to have in my life.

And art.
Our connection.
We will always be connected by the gift she passed on to me.


You'll always be in my heart. 



all images, except the one above, are courtesy of we heart it

9 comments:

efdamore said...

Beautifully said, Lissy. She is extremely proud of you, I'm sure.

Sian said...

Beautiful, beautiful post. She sounds amazing. And that's a fantastic dollshouse..looks like she was very talented.

The Scrappy Tree said...

Oh my gosh, what a beautiful post. Lots of love xxx

Melissa said...

This is a very sweet post. Good luck with the pecan shortbreads.

sharyncarlson said...

What a beautiful message, she was clearly an amazing woman. Hugs!

Carrie said...

Very beautiful memories. Obviously a beautiful woman. Hugs.

Melissa said...

What a wonderful tribute to your mum.

thu said...

this was so sweet and lovely

CDC said...

beautiful:) and now i know where you get all your crafty/art stuff from :) she is so very proud of everything you've done and will do...she taught you well:)

Post a Comment